Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development
The apache2triad help , support and development forums

Let's start from scratch.
Click here to go to the original topic

Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index -> Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soccer

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Let's start from scratch.  

I've read a million posts on here regarded access local sites from the internet. I still don't understand how it works. I think each post is specific for that users problem.

Let me start from scratch so it's easier to help me. I'm on win xp. I installed a2t. I have a linksys router (WRT54G). If I go to a command prompt and type ipconfig it shows my ip address (call it ip1). Now if I go to whatismyip.com, it shows my ip address, which is different from ip1 (call it ip2). If I point my browser to ip1, it goes to the same location as 'localhost' and '127.0.0.1' does. So I figure they're all the same. If I point my browser to ip2, it takes me to my router config page. On this page, I clicked a link called ddns and it made me select a service. I choose dyndns.org and went to that page and signed up. On that page it made me choose a host, I choose ags.homeftp.net, I also changed my domain name in a2t to ags.homeftp.net (i guess i thought I was supposed to). So now when i point my browser to ags.homeftp.net, it goes to the same place ip2 does, which is my router config page. I did all this b/c that it what I've read on other post but I'm not sure if I'm doing things right or whatever. I somehow need ags.homeftp.net to go to my webpage I have on a2t, located in localhost/mywebs/myweb

can someone help thanks.
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject:  

You've done some homework, and have everything running just fine. All you need to do is create an index.htm, or index.php file in htdocs. http://apache2triad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=785

As a note for your ip's.
127.0.0.1 is the ip for localhost (so they are interchangeable).
Localhost is a loopback so every pc resolves it to itself

The IP that you got from whatismyip.com is your public IP, it is the one that your pc uses to communicate to the internet and is assigned by your ISP.

Also, you'll have another IP address for your local network if it's connected to a router. typically 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x
You can use this to access your pc also, or use your pc's name on the network.
dawg

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject:  

Everything you have done is correct.

When i test ags.homeftp.net I get the Htdocs Directory -

Now all you need to do is set up virtual hosts and yuou will be good to go.

Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index -> Networking
Page 1 of 1