Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development
The apache2triad help , support and development forums

wlan hotspot on windowsxp pro
Click here to go to the original topic

Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index -> Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutch1918

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: wlan hotspot on windowsxp pro  

I am setting up Apache2TRIAD (v1.5.4) using the apache2-ssl for my wireless hotspot. I have the server on 192.168.1.* and the wlan set for 192.168.182.*. I can access my splash page from another computer on the 192.168.1.* network but cannot get the splash page from 192.168.182.*. I have check the settings in Apache2triad and everything is set correctly. I've also turned off all firewalls windows/router but still to no avail. I am using WINXP Pro SP2

Any help would be aprreciated
Vlad Alexa Mancini

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:  

you are in violation of a basic networking rule , namely 2 hosts on different networks can not comunicate unless a third party routes trafic between the hosts

hosts on 192.168.1.0 network are part of network A
hosts on 192.168.182.0 network are part of network B

you need to set up routing between A and B

feel free to ask and provide further detail if you need further help
dutch1918

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:  

Vlad Alexa Mancini wrote: you are in violation of a basic networking rule , namely 2 hosts on different networks can not comunicate unless a third party routes trafic between the hosts

hosts on 192.168.1.0 network are part of network A
hosts on 192.168.182.0 network are part of network B

you need to set up routing between A and B

feel free to ask and provide further detail if you need further help

The routing is handled by iptables on the router.

The 192.168.182.0/24 is blocked to the internet and forward to 192.168.1.25 were Apache2 and Radius Server reside until the user is authenticated. This system works presently on a linux system so I know it works. I have a friend that I am trying to assist in setting his up on a WinXP Pro system.
Vlad Alexa Mancini

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:  

well on linux you would set DNAT iptable rules for that , but on windows i do not know

so then , you are trying to replicate a network setup you have working under linux , with windows , and you are having problems

you say you have it working on a linux system , and want to make it work on a windows system

but when i ask about routing you say that it is taken care of by the linux system

so which is it then , please try a higher level of dissambiguation in your formulation
dutch1918

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:  

Vlad Alexa Mancini wrote: well on linux you would set DNAT iptable rules for that , but on windows i do not know

so then , you are trying to replicate a network setup you have working under linux , with windows , and you are having problems

you say you have it working on a linux system , and want to make it work on a windows system

but when i ask about routing you say that it is taken care of by the linux system

so which is it then , please try a higher level of dissambiguation in your formulation

The linux system is on the WRT54G router which has the WiFi Hotspot software and iptables. It is routed through TUN0 to 192.168.1.25 which is window based.

Please explain your comment "higher level of dissambiguation in your formulation"?

Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index -> Networking
Page 1 of 1