Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development
The apache2triad help , support and development forums

How to enable GZip Compression in Apache
Click here to go to the original topic

Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index -> Apache
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: How to enable GZip Compression in Apache  

I read the Apache docs on gzip compression but they are very confusiong... I dont even know where to put the variables anyway.
Can somebody tell me in plain english how to?
Thanks for your help
Omar
________
SWED
kolatracks

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject:  

mancini will probably know more about this but AFAIK you can't enable gzip on apache running on windows. Furthermore I don't think IE supports gzip, so really there would be no point to enabling gzip since IE dominates the 'net.

That's just my knowledge on the matter but I suggest you wait for mancini to see if he has any further input.

BTW I assume the documents your reffering to are http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html

edit:
Ok, well, apache2triad does have mod_deflate but it's not configured by default.

I might try configuring it in the next few days, If it works I'll post here and let you know. I might even write a tutorial for it if I consider it hard to do.
omar

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject:  

Hi Kolatracks
Thanks for your reply.
If you are right is a pitty. I find Apache a bit slow on Windows systems.
Thanks again
Omar
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizer
kolatracks

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject:  

Well, I saw in another thread that you are running apache on win 2003.
This is going a bit off-topic but,

I also ran apache2triad on win 2003 for a while but found that 2003 is a real resource hog.

I have apache running on winXP and it runs almost as fast as on linux, there's barely any difference.
However, apache on win2003 is another matter. I sometimes found that a page could take 20 secs to load, that's ridiculous. But it's nothing to do with apache. win2003 in general seems to only run well on dual-proccessor systems and other seriously high-spec systems.
A simple task a opening my computer will take 5-10 secs on win2003. And the hardware in my 2003 box is the same as my XP box yet my xp box run 100 times faster, and I'm not exaggerating when I say 100.

Also, going a bit more on-topic. Enabling gzip compresion on the server could make things worse. gzip helps speed up client downloads by compressing the file before it sends it but that also means that the server has to use more proccesing power to compress the file in the first place.
So basically it's a good idea to enable gzip where you have less bandwidth than proccessing power.

Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index -> Apache
Page 1 of 1