Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 Noone can access ftp server
Google
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Your config looks fine.

If you re-verified your firewall settings try resetting your router. I've seen some not make changes until a reset.
weavil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok so if port 1100 is not blocked and the firewall is off then what could be the problem?
LiquidSnake
past contributor
past contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

the problem is simple .... you are just not listening .... in Slimftp there are VERY few problems that can be made. in you case, since you can connect with the server at localhost with no problems, FACT: server is running and functioning properly, we can then say it can ONLY be BLOCKED or NOT FOREWARDED correctly .... Do you have any other computers on your network? does your router have a built in firewall? have you checked your router is forewarding to the proper machine? And I mean run ipconfig to see what addy it has and then check your router to make sure they matched? In some cases if you have more then 1 computer on your network (and very well may be if you just have one) the DCHP server (router) will sometimes assign your machine a different IP. Check your router and see how many DCHP client it allows, also check the ranges, check to see if it assigns randomly. mine was set at 50 clients, which in my opinion was to many so I set it for 4, the number of computers in my network (wireless which by the way is WAY more secure to set the maximum # of clients to match what you need). Occasionally my router would assign it a different IP, thus throwing a big wrench in the works. so I set up my a2t server machine a static IP, which solved the occasional router mess up .....

Another thing, if your router (which most routers do) has a firewall why do you have ICS and a software based firewall installed??? I highly doubt your ISP has blocked port 21.

if I had to say it's your router thats's causing your problems, like 99% of the people comming here asking why such and such can't access the outside world. SlimFTP to my knowledge does not have a IP block that I know of, so that can be eliminated. try telneting into your FTP and see what it says. (start > run > telnet yourdomain 21 (or 1100 whichever port you have it set now) which I can tell you will not open on either portas I just ran it myself.

I dont know what else we could help you with .... Maybe post some pics of your router configs.. DCHP settings, and port forewading..

*EDIT*

after posting this I saw another post http://apache2triad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3780 with a link for a guide how to setup port forewading ... you might wanna check it out http://portforward.com/default.htm
weavil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok I finaly figured out the problem. With this ftp I had to do a Port Range Forwarding instead of a single port forward... Now it is open to the net... Thank you for the help
LiquidSnake
past contributor
past contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I really dont understand why a port range (what range did you put in? 21-21) would work than just a single port????
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

RFC 959 wrote:
The FTP commands specify the parameters for the data connection
(data port, transfer mode, representation type, and structure) and
the nature of file system operation (store, retrieve, append,
delete, etc.). The user-DTP or its designate should "listen" on
the specified data port, and the server initiate the data
connection and data transfer in accordance with the specified
parameters. It should be noted that the data port need not be in
the same host that initiates the FTP commands via the control
connection, but the user or the user-FTP process must ensure a
"listen" on the specified data port.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers wrote:
ftp-data 20/tcp #File Transfer [Default Data]
ftp-data 20/udp #File Transfer [Default Data]
ftp 21/tcp #File Transfer [Control]
ftp 21/udp #File Transfer [Control]
weavil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok like I said it is listening on port 1100... the port range I did was for ports 1099 threw 1101. I just found out that even though I can now use my ip or url to login anyone outside of my network still cannot. I saw a post somewhere saying to upgrade the router firmware which I did before I found out noone could access it. I guess I can connect directly into the modem (by-pass the router) then test it to see if its some software on my server or if it is something to do with the router; to help eliminate 1 of them.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic