Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 financial issues
Google
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As much as i like working at Apache2Triad , i have to also work to earn a living , and the more i earn from Apache2Triad the more time i can afford to work on it , and lately that is even less than before so anyone who is interested in new features and releases would facilitate that by visiting sponsors or donating .

Last edited by Vlad Alexa Mancini on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
mapg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Vlad,

I suggest you to follow a financial model as http://www.phpnuke.org, namely who want to get the latest version, has to pay you some money.

Donations are similar to see a poor man asking money in the middle of the street, namely everybody sees him an just few persons give something. A pathetic spectacle unfortunately.

I understand you and your work and you should go ahead with a reasonable economical logic.

Your post speaking about the financial issue was read by just 87 visitors in 10 days, meanwhile others was read by 100's, unfortunately another pathetic scenario. People doesn't want to know issues like this, simply to get for free the product and forget everything else. You should break forever this.

Who wants to get the latest version, should pay you something, no much money but some money (maybe an amount between 5 to 10 USD). This will end this vicious circle of shamelessness, namely, everybody getting benefits from your work BUT YOU.

This is my sincere contribution to solve the issue. Take in consideration that almost nobody will post a message asking you to pay some money, therefore my words are really a thoughtful and heart-felt thing.

Regards and Good Luck, indeed.

Mapg
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

While I agree that donation won't bring in alot of cash flow I feel that it is an honorable way to recieve money. It all boils down to what you want out of your software. If you want it to make money for you then you should charge for new versions.

However, if your intentions are to provide a service to the internet community as a whole to give back to the community you've learned from then I feel a donation model is good. People who want to help grow a project will donate in time/money (Both are very valuable). I'm not saying you should go into the red, a project should be self supportive.

Another model to make some money is paid support, many software projects do this to varying degrees of success.
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am a reasonable and patient man , and i believe in the open source karma , furthermore apache2triad does not necessarily have to earn me money i could just drop it or cut work on it and have all focus on my other income sources.

I made the first versions for my own use but like all open source developers i liked it afterwards when i shared them and saw that i have made something that is useful to others and appreciated.

Over the time however i had also added many features not because i would have needed them , but for the users that the project now had , and it was nice words and donations from the users that made that happen.

Apache2Triad was the first open source project i had and for me it has a special meaning also because of all the great open source components it consists of and it would not have been possible if those components were not free.

So it is a good bet that Apache2Triad will always be free , what is uncertain is if i will passively continue developing it as a personal hobby or actively improving it both as a hobby and a income source.

Anyways , there have been donations , thanks for all the people that did that and support this project.
mapg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Donations ... I feel that it is an honorable way to recieve money.

If I were to request donations for my website, sincerely I should close it. My feeling about donations is that donations == charity. It's very easy to check it. Go to the street and request to some persons a "donation" for your work, and take a look at their faces.
Quote:
If you want it to make money for you then you should charge for new versions.

It isn't a make money issue alone but to pay a work. To put together many features and different programs is a work.
Quote:
However, if your intentions are to provide a service to the internet community as a whole to give back to the community you've learned from then I feel a donation model is good.

And what learn Vlad from the community? An long list of feature requests and and long list of posting requesting support? Are these things what Vlad learn? No, for sure. Mainly he works and everybody else looks how he works. That's all.
Quote:
People who want to help grow a project will donate in time/money (Both are very valuable).

Yes, the time of request a question instead of learn how-to solve it by himself. Is anybody working on the source to help Vlad? Then, where is the time from people you are speaking about?
Quote:
So it is a good bet that Apache2Triad will always be free, what is uncertain is if i will passively continue developing it as a personal hobby or actively improving it both as a hobby and a income source.

Then Vlad you, and everybody will see how this project will freeze itself step by step until almost a technical death in a next future. You will be tired soon asking yourself why you are doing this.

That "passively" developing simply implies a growing of risk to use Apache2triad in production servers, lack of updating at time, and risky exposition to bugs, namely to become an amateurish project. Let us pay you and we will continue getting a decent product.

Again, I am ashamed to see how people doesn't take care of this issue while forums posts grow. This well-known people behavior is like a National Geographic sketch: "A monkey trying to get the banana from his neighboring avoiding the effort to ascend to the tree". Good philosophy Confused
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Go to the street and request to some persons a "donation" for your work, and take a look at their faces.

Have you thought about a model of a church? People give money so that they can see a church grow, or maintain its status.

Quote:
Is anybody working on the source to help Vlad? Then, where is the time from people you are speaking about?
I can speak for myself when I say I give time to the support forums allieviating Vlad from having to try and tackle them all, and I've offered my programming skills if they're needed. Door33, and LiquidSnake also give support to the project as do many members trying to help each other.

I'm glad to see you have such a passion for this project and want to see it grow too. I also share your passion and understand where you're coming from. I encourage people to donate there time and funds to this project and will personally do my best to help it develop into an even greater project.
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have gained quite a bit of experience over the years with each apache2triad version and i have to say there were support requests i actually enjoyed and found intriguing to make it work , like the one about open office and postgres integration , too bad not all requests are like that.

It is not all bad , btw i just made a beta.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic