Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 pgsql - cannot run createdb
Google
pottibaer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi!

Normally I'm working on a GNU/Linux-Box.

I was finishing a simple dvd-archiver easy to handle in a browser-window
(written in php with postgresql as its backend under GNU/Linux) for a friend of mine in greece who is not much experienced with Computers at all and who is working on WindowsXP Pro-
So, I needed to find a very "simple-to-install" program for windows and found it with apache2triad-1.5.3 - Surprised

So, after the successful installation (apache-server is running, startnig-page is fine) I created a non-privileged user "postgres" with the password "postgres", changed to this user, created a directory c:\first opened a commandline, and typed

initdb -D c:\first

and it worked! (the content of c:\first looks quite fine - also the default settings of the conf-files looks quite ok for me.

then I wanted to start postgres-server with

postmaster -D c:\first

I also tried out pg_ctl like I am used under GNU/Linux

and both failed ...

after a reboot or two, the same procedure worked! I could start postgres, created a new database, created my tables ...
after the next reboot it didn't work again, - again it says that there is something wrong with localhost and/or post 5432 ... but there was no postgres-server running
after a reboot or two it worked again fine ...

what causes this strange behaviour?

and may I ask you for another favour?
Wasn't there something like an autoexec.bat in windows? where is that now, cause I'd liked to start the postgresserver as user postgres automatically after a reboot - how must the entry look like?

Is under windows also a possibility to substitute a user like in BASH
so let's say, I am now the "superuser" and want to run a command as user postgres ...

Your answers will help me saving time of investigation ... and for you it must be a small thing to answer ...
And that I (ME!!!) am working on a windows box proves what a very very good friend this one woman is to me!! Very Happy

Thank you very much for your help!
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sorry, but I can't help with all of your problems but as for running programs as a certain user http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/runas.mspx

Autoexec.bat has been phased out.
There are other ways to autostart programs though.
You could manually add links to all users startup, or edit the registry or..
as I prefer to do it use a very nice control panel applet http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic