Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 Root?
Google
TreetopClimber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have read some of the posts on this subject already but none have helped me. I have been using EasyPHP1-7 for quite awhile now for a demo site so I do have some experience with these things, although this is more involved it is mostly the same. I have no problem getting to and setting up my mail and my databases, the problem is with the root folder. Now htdocs seems to be it but if I add a folder (www or public_html) to it and direct the con/httpd.conf file to that dirrectory it doesnt come up anywhere, doesnt show in http://localhost or if I use http://127.0.0.1 so I am stumped. Also isnt the user directory just a read only directory so I wouldnt think that would be it? Really need some answers here. Great application just need some help.... Thanks in advance TT
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
htdocs seems to be it but if I add a folder (www or public_html) to it and direct the con/httpd.conf file to that dirrectory

What is the config that your are using?

htdocs, is your document root, if you manually change this then you will have some problems with the A2T control panel. If you have folders www or public_html inside the htdocs, you'll have to use these in the url, or you can try using an alias.
TreetopClimber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the reply but I did figure it out, instead of adding www or public_html to htdocs I just placed all my files and folders in that directory and everything worked fine. One other question tho Can I change the name of htdocs to like homedir or do I need to leave that alone?
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is best to leave it unless you want to verify that no paths are hard coded in the control panel scripts.
TreetopClimber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok thanks I will just leave it be then.
I am using Windows Server 2003 R2, I have never really used command prompt before would this be something I could get help on here? I have it setup for just a wins server at the moment but am not sure if I need this or what I need to tell ya the truth, this is my first time using a server base. The EasyPHP is similar to A2Triad but is installed on my home PC, its a great tool for a demo and being able to debug my source code, but limited. My site link is now on my profile if you care to take a look.
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm having a hard time following your question(s).

Quote:
I have never really used command prompt before would this be something I could get help on here?

What is your command prompt question? There are many tools that are built at the command prompt, and most things realated to apache are command prompt-able. To get basic help for programs in dos you will type.
command /?
or
command -h

As for EasyPHP being a great tool but limited. Apache2Triad is developed primarily for website development, however it is well suited for hosting. (I use it for both.) I prefer A2T over many other products I've tried.

If your migrating from IIS to Apache there is a learning curve, but once you do you won't want to go back. Apache is much more flexible, and can be secured much easier.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic