Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 need: 1 Idiots guide to mailserver
Google
SilverDragonRose

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OK... I have posted on a few other threads and I am no closer to understanding then when I started. Sad so let me start from scratch cause I have a feeling that I have misunderstood something someplace, and not sure what it is......

Question:

1: If I have just set up A2T, what program/file do I want to configure to get the mail server running. (Note: this will not be in heavy use... mainly just for confermations and PM functions in Simple Machine Forums. )

2: How do I access this file (Locally or online?)

3: What requirements are there for the mail server? (Domain capabilities/setups)

4: How do my website users sign up and access their individual email accounts? do i need to create some kind of interface?

5: What ports need open on my firewall? AND I am using windows server 2003... with internet option/security turned all the way up... What do I need to enable (like with messengers certain things wont work unless you enable activex and cookies)

6: Is there a simpler way to go about all this?

7: (I know that this is on the distributer side but since Im on the subject) What do I need to make sure is active/turned on/configured with my Simple Machine Forums and other programs so that they wrok with the mailserver?

Links to other subjects are fine. I have read all posts that I could find INCLUDING the FAQ ... I just didn't understand it all....
(this is not the type of thing that I want to mess up on since Im sure one mistake in the wrong place could mess up my server and cause all kinds of problems)

Thank you for you time and answers,
Danny
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

1. the xmail mail server is running after the initial reboot upon a2t installation (the service defaults on autostart so the xmail program is executed and remains resident in memory)
2. define running or rephrase question 1
3. i think the FAQ covers this one , basically a FQDN
4. phpxmail is for this purpose
5. 25 and 110 are the basic ones , there could be others depending on your needs
6. not use a router ?
7. am not familiar with that software
SilverDragonRose

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for your answer...

so xmail is running ... k i got that.... cool.. alright.

now how do i configure it so that people can sign up and use email at

username@dragoncreative.no-ip.org ?

i have just gotten confirmation from no-ip that my MX has been logged and reported..

so how do i configure it? goto (mydomain/phpxmail) ok i got that and logged in as root blah blah...... ok.. so now what?

what button do i push to do what ever it is that i need to do next.. Sad

thanks,
danny
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic