Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 SlimFTPd fails to start after installing Windows XP updates
Google
eoh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi and greetings.

Several days ago, my Windows XP computer was updated with the lastest Microsoft updates. The SlimFTPd log reports that "The SlimFTPd service has received notification of a system shutdown. The SlimFTPd service has stopped." When the computer was rebooted, SlimFTPd would not restart and there were no further messages added to the log.

I tried to start SlimFTPd from the Apache2Triad Control Panel and from the Apache2Triad Manager. Neither method was able to start SlimFTPd services. I finally went to the folder with SlimFTPd.exe and started it directly. SlimFTPd successfully started and worked correctly.

I then tried to start or stop SlimFTPd using either Apache2Triad Control Panel or Apache2Triad Manager. Neither method would work. I then went to another computer which also has Apache2Triad installed. It has the same symptoms.

At this point, I am guessing that the latest Windows updates has caused the Control Panel and A2TManager to not work with SlimFTPd. If anyone else is having similar issues, please let me know. Maybe there is something that I am overlooking. Thanks.
ibby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just wondering, Have you got IIS, and IIS Ftp uninstalled.

I had a smiliar problem, where i had windows ftp installed which messed up other ftp clients.

Soon after I stopped the services for them, all worked well.

which updates did you install ?

IE 7 ?
eoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do not have IIS.

IE 6.0.2900 is installed. Have not upgraded to IE 7.

The A2TManager does not start or stop SlimFTPd.

I start SlimFTPd by going to folder C:\apache2triad\ftp and executing it. I stop SlimFTPd by ending the process using the Windows Task Manager.

When Apache2triad was first installed, A2TManager worked. Now it only starts and stops the other components but will not start or stop SlimFTPd.

To get around the problem, I currently have a shortcut of SlimFTPd in the startup folder so that it will start upon restart of windows.
ibby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

sorry, I miss read the problem.

I had a problem with the a2t control panel, not responding, to any thing.
It would error out.

No error logs or anything.
Nothing in event maanager.
eoh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm back. Problem solved.

I have no idea why SlimFTPd failed to start or stop with Apache2Triad Manager. But I was able to get it to work again by doing the following:

Click on "My Computer" - "C:" - "\apache2triad" - "\ftp" - "ServiceTool.exe". Then click on "Uninstall" and then "Install". Finally, start "Task Manager" and End Process "SlimFTPd.exe" to re-synchronize. Now the Apache2Triad Manager works and it will start and stop SlimFTPd.

I am guessing that when Windows XP did an update, it messed up the start/stop mechanism. Hope this helps anyone else who runs into this problem. Very Happy
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

by default slimftpd and postgres are set to run as user apache2triad , as opossed to the other apache2triad services that run as system

the MS update seems to have enforced some restrictions on the apache2triad user or otherwise mangled it , which probably means that postgres does not work either now
flipthedolphin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Any idea on how to run postgresql then?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic