Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 how-to fix issues with site not accesible from outside
Google
pcexhaust

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
Why can I not connect to my website from the internet? I have setup everything on the local network correctly and everything works on the local network. I have a static IP from my ISP and my DNS records are pointing to my IP. What am I missing?

Answer:

Must likely you need to forward several ports to your server. If your network sits behind a router, then you need to get into the router's configuration, find a section on port forwarding (maybe called DMZ) and forward the correct ports to your server. If you only have one computer, and it is hosting your site, then you most likely have a firewall up blocking the connection. Zonealarm is a firewall, Symantec makes one and so to many others. Go into the firewall settings and open the correct ports. A list of ports are listed below.

NOTES
Code:

Web (http): 80      -Needed for websites (html, php, etc...)
Web (https): 443    -SSL
FTP: 20/21           -File tranfer protocol (sending and receiving files to/from server)
SMTP: 25             -Mail
pop3:  110           -Mail

caperneoignis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also Some modems have to have a port open for ip passthough It opens a port so the calls for the service fall to the router (or computer) and then to the computer that has been set up to process those orders can do so.
mine is a wirespeed modem its located at 192.168.1.254 i have to go there open the advance setup (for advanced users!!!) go to ip passthough (might not be the correct word but is to the best of my knowledge) and open the correspounding port to allow all request to fall to the router. This is how i solved my problem of not being able to get people to see my server i maybe worng on this and some people might be able to prove that you dont. But then it wouldnt have over 100 different ports to open if it didnt serve a purpose (i.e: quake III, halflife, goto my pc What ever port a program by default needs port 80 is one of them labled http:world wide web) .
hoped this helps people who had a problem like me.
sincerly
caper
p.s. this only really applies to dsl customers and people who have to change there router settings so it doesnt interfer with the modem example: going from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 .
(the modem also has dhcp built in *don't ask i dont know why it does either But it said plain as day dhcp client table just like the router Probbly to give settings to the router so it can connect to the internet though the modem. "Allow router to determin settings for the internet." Also i belive it doubles as a hybrid router becuase it keeps all the logins and passwords on the modem and it connects on its own.*)
djokodonev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i tried to use apache on my machine and the files were not accessible through my External IP, the one from my ISP, so all i did was to open my local area and add the exeternal ip. go to Control panel->Network and internet connections->Network conections->Right click on the Conection that you use to connect to the Internet-Local area Conection->Properties->choose Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)->Properties->Advanced->Under IpSettings, IP adresses click add and add your external ip and you are all set.

Note that this is if you conect through a Local area to internet!!!!
colt45gto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

djokodonev wrote:
i tried to use apache on my machine and the files were not accessible through my External IP, the one from my ISP, so all i did was to open my local area and add the exeternal ip. go to Control panel->Network and internet connections->Network conections->Right click on the Conection that you use to connect to the Internet-Local area Conection->Properties->choose Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)->Properties->Advanced->Under IpSettings, IP adresses click add and add your external ip and you are all set.

Note that this is if you conect through a Local area to internet!!!!

ok i use NTL(virgin) to connect my ip is 81.111.200.52 and default gateway is 81.111.200.1 so what ip do i add to that...my main ip or default gateway?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic