Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 What do I need to get mail() working?
Google
lotrtrotk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have installed a basic SMF forum, but none of the mail features work (like sending out an activation email upon registering). So nobody can actually sign up to use my forums. What do I need to do in order to allow these emails to go out? Can I simply open up a port, or do I have to set up some sort of mail server. (gosh I hope not).

I'm using Windows XP /w SP2 (windows firewall disabled) for the server machine.
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It depends on what kind of mail function your forum uses, and what you want to do. On some forums you can just specify a smtp relayer (which can be your mail account with your ISP if you wish). If you don't want to do that you'll have to setup a mail server, and open ports. Apache2Triad has a mail server with it that you can use. You can access it via the control panel or using http://localhost/phpxmail/

And the ports for xmail are:
SMTP: 25
pop3: 110
lotrtrotk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hrmm... I guess I got my ISP's smtp server info. Just stuck that in my php.ini file and it worked.

I took a look at that phpxmail though. It's pretty cool. Maybe I'll play around a bit more with that eventually (for now, this current solution solves my problems). I have just registered my own domain name. So does that mean I can have anything@mydomain.com as an email address?
Joshua Meadows (DemoRic)
support
support

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
So does that mean I can have anything@mydomain.com as an email address?

Yes if you run a mailserver

No, if you don't unless the place you have your domain from will forward emails to another account.

BTW, I forgot to mention http://apache2triad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=634 in setting up xmail (if you decide to do so), and if xmail isn't your flavor, you can try another opensource mail server http://www.hmailserver.com/ (though this isn't part of A2T)

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic