Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 occasional hanging "slacking off" for apache?
Google
ellegaard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm running v. 1.4 on my win2003 server and I'm very impressed with the setup except for one thing, that probably is my own fault.

Once in awhile the http-server just stops responding. No problem with ftp.

I've another Apache installation on this machine (from a disfunctioning FoxServe) but I don't know how to remove the apache service that is left over. It isn't started but it be the coause of my problem.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

(edited)

I managed to get rid of the old apache service, but I still have the problem.
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hmm , this should be looked into

first off you should monitor memory usage
with default apache2triad configuration apache has 2 proceses each consuming about 13 megabytes of RAM

does the memory usage increase considerably around the times of the issue ?

you should also monitor http://localhost/server-status both during normal operation and during the times when the issue occurs

to remove a service run
Code:
instsrv servicename remove

to see the list of the services run
Code:
sc query
ellegaard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, there's a difference there, but I don't know if it has any significance.

I've got two processes alright, on using app. 13 Mb but the other is using around 23Mb!

How do I find out what is wrong there?

[edited]

The last time I checked I found that the biggest apache service was down to 15 Mb at the time when it all stopped.

It seems to grow to 24-30 Mb, but that doesn't stop it from working. I've been monitoring it while fooling around with webpages and the size doesn't seem to be connected with problem.

If I restart the service it's all working again - for a while...
chipgraphics

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you know a date and time of the events you can check your server log to see what page/script is causing the temporary server timeout. If it is a PHP page/script check your PHP log and it will tell you more specifics of the error.

I use my server for developing and sometimes I goof when writing code and get the temporary server timeout. I just check my log as a reference to see what the error was.

Sometimes it may be the script or an outside malicious user trying to execute arbitrary code on your server.

I am running the 1.5 A2T and haven't had any issues with the server timing out on it's own (when I am not testing code).
The set-up that A2T has makes the Apache server a pretty durable server that can handle quite a beating.

When in doubt Read The Manual

Chipgraphics
www.chipgraphics.net
ellegaard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Found something in the error.log:

Code:

[Tue Apr 12 23:43:16 2005] [notice] Child 2984: Process exiting because it reached MaxRequestsPerChild. Signaling the parent to restart a new child process.
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:16 2005] [notice] Parent: Received restart signal -- Restarting the server.
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:16 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.53 (Win32) PHP/4.3.11 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:16 2005] [notice] Server built: Feb 10 2005 06:11:34
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:16 2005] [notice] Parent: Created child process 3824
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:17 2005] [notice] Child 3824: Child process is running
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:17 2005] [notice] Child 2984: Released the start mutex
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:17 2005] [notice] Child 3824: Acquired the start mutex.
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:17 2005] [notice] Child 3824: Starting 150 worker threads.
[Tue Apr 12 23:43:18 2005] [notice] Child 2984: Waiting for 150 worker threads to exit.
[Tue Apr 12 23:46:18 2005] [notice] Child 2984: Terminating 1 threads that failed to exit.
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

the memory usage you reported is well within resonable limits , a hundred megabytes and more of memory usage would be alarming

thanks to the log excerpts you posted i believe that the explaination for the issue lies in the fact that in apache2triad apache is configured with MaxRequestsPerChild 100

this is done in order to prevent memory leakage , relax memory usage during low server load and clean up hanged child processes , and is achieved by restarting any particular child after it has processed 100 requests

it is a bit anormal however that it would take as much as 5 minutes to do so , and that the other childs would not respond to requests in that time , unless on a machine with less than 200 mHz or something i guess

if problem persists raise the value of MaxRequestsPerChild in httpd.conf exponentially but not above 10000
ellegaard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank you for the advice, I'll try that - be back with the results later.

The server is used for experimenting with webdesigns and -applications, so once in a while a do screw it up. It's no big monster, but at least 1GHz as far as I remember.

Is there anyway that I can monitor these proceses so I might find out where the error is? Could it be a request for a missing file or something?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic