Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 Customizing mysql charsets and storage engine
Google
Crypton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, searched your forums and google but have not found any solution, only one that says I would have to recompile mysql, but I dont think that was for my problem atm.

Default install of Apache2Triad the charset is set to Latin1, well looking at WinMySQLAdmin everything is set to Latin1 and Latin1_swedish_ci

But my system is set for English so im a bit confused?

Is there any way to get these to English (en_iso_8859-1)

also so when I export my database it only has MyISAM for Type because right now im unable to import my databases to my real server after they have been put on my local test server. I have to manually change each section in the sql file and end up breaking some things.

Please help ASAP. thanks in advanced!

This is using the latest Edge release of Apache2Triad
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i left the default charsets the way they are in the oficial mysql release (MySQL AB is swedish) hence the default swedish latin charsets , and that is the way i will keep it , see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/charset.html to learn about charsets and configuring them to your desire

by default in apache2triad Mysql is configured only with MyISAM table support , so enable other engines see the mysql config file or the CP gui for that file
Crypton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok thanks, ben there, but like I said, it was saying I would have to recompile MySQL to add default language set, and the other section talking about editing the files to add my custom charsets ect.., I just don't know how to do that, I looked at the files using EditPlus, but even then the files are a little confusing for me and they do not exactly give detailed info on doing it, only that you have to add them at the end so the numbers do not get messed up for the ones already added.

I have to manually remove
Code:
DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

to make them look like
Code:
) ENGINE=MyISAM ;

is a pain for auto increment lines like this (was not aware before that I could leave the replace line in EditPlus blank to remove items 0o)
Code:
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=1 ;

where alot of them are not the same number, but a quick search for DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 and replace with blank line fixes them, cept for

Code:
`word_text` varchar(50) character set latin1 collate latin1_bin NOT NULL default '',

Which I had to look at the export out of my hosts db to be able to change it from my local servers setup. The host looks like this.

Code:
`word_text` varchar(50) binary NOT NULL default '',

Sorry im just not very good with SQL, getting better, but not quite understanding it. Thanks for the help however, I seem to have a temporary solution that is not too hard to do, but would be better if I understood how to add English (en_iso_8859-1)

also, English (en_iso_8859-1) is not even in the charsets anywhere, so my hosts obviously has added them theirself? Is there a location to download the files needed to add them manually? I searched that FAQ ect.. on the mysql site, but I do not see any downloads for charsets of any kind, maybe im not putting the right search words to bring them up.

And not a worry, I need to keep MyISAM as default engine, only need to cange language to English (en_iso_8859-1) or somehow make it so when I export my db is does not put the default charset lines into it so it only has ENGINE=MyISAM ; or with the included AUTO_INCREMENT= line

Sorry for my stupidity, im just very new to this sql bit, but so far ive managed to not break things, at least nothing that was hard to fix Razz

oh, and keep up the good work on Apache2Triad definately has made my life easier than trying to install mysql, php ect.. manually 0o I have tried other free complete server systems afew in other languages as well, can't remember names, but compared to yours they were crap to put it nicely not to mention very very buggy Razz

So a big thanks for that!
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

well you might have been there but it looks to me that you haven't read it

because you do not need to download charsets or anything , just learn the sql commands for changing them , like

Quote:
ALTER TABLE tbl_name
[DEFAULT CHARACTER SET charset_name] [COLLATE collation_name]

you can see a list of all charsets and collations in phpmyadmin
Crypton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yes I have read it, and yes I have looked at the names and the only iso-8859-1 section does not contain English

I cannot help that my search words used brought me to a section that is completely different than what your talking about doing .. Does not mean I didn't read.

I don't go posting for help places without first checking into it myself otherwise I would have been here months ago asking for help. As stated I was unable to find what I am looking for on that site obviously because I was using the wrong search terms .. If you go there looking for adding charsets or xml charsets ect. You do not pull up the info you posted below.

When I looked in phpmyadmin I looked at this section to see my list. (Highlighted in red is the section I went to to see)

Click for Enlarged View:

I did not see English in the section, so I was unware that I could simply change the name of one of them to English to make it work the way I needed. I was under the impression I had to add them, because the site was telling me stuff about editing index files and such to add new charsets to the end of a file. located in /mysql/share/charsets

then when I checked there, I see all the xml's but no english xml, that is when I got the idea to search for xml charset mysql and such keywords which did not pull up anything close to what you posted.

Anyways, ty for clearifying what is needed to be done, at least it will bring me to a correct location on that enormous site ..
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ok no need to get touchy , just read more on the link i gave you http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/charset-charsets.html

you should then become aware that there is no "English" iso-8859-1 charset , the US standard charset is ASCII

if you think your database needs a iso-8859-1 "English" charset there is definitely something wrong , maybe that is about what you should have asked
Crypton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

no no m8, not getting touchy, in fact i am very pleased and appriciative with the quick help here.

Just frustrated as this stuff is very confusing for a beginner. But t least I have the correct info to red up on and hopefully I can get the prob solved.

When I expert the db from apache2triad, then try to import to my webhosts db it gives errors pertaining to the latin1 lines and results in no import being done. Though manually removing all charset lines from the sql file solves the problems, its just a little more work than needed in my case 0o. My host uses MySQL as well but there is no collation on his, ill read up on it, but here so you can see what im talking about Ill post a couple pictures below.

These are pics of the phpmyadmin on my webhost, there is just no collation entry in there. anyways thanks again!
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

what is relevant is the mysql version , you should see "MySQL X.X tandard running on ..."
your host si running mysql 4.0 , charsets were introduced since mysql 4.1
use apache2triad 1.4.2 , it has mysql 4.0
Crypton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ya, just read that in chapter 10 character set support under this section.

• New syntax in MySQL 4.1

ok, so in order for me to do this using my current install ill have no choice but to manually edit the sql export.

Well, solves my problem, using wrong apache2triad, lol But I like the new release better, seems tons faster than the other one and with the added tweak I found on this site for mod_deflate it is running very fast and smooth even with a site loaded down with flash.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic