Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 vhost problem
Google
pixelated

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Firstly my details:

OS: XP Home (would like Debian, have tried and failed Embarassed )
Server: Apache2triad ver: 1.5.3
Dynamic IP: Resolved with http://www.dnsexit.com/

Changed domain name with change domain script in control panel (worked perfect)

My problem/s, (mx records), I have changed my name servers away from my domain name company to point to that of dnsexit. All is well so far as my basic index.html is shown with my domain name in my browser as if hosted on real host companies server. So far so good. All im thinking is i've not set up any mx records for my domain name, but email works perfect in and out of xmail server, so do i need to setup mx records for my domain.

(Vhosts) I've been having trouble setting up virtual hosts for another site i'd like to host for my son. I've have read posts here and been to apaches website related to vhosts and have completed my vhosts section in httpd.conf to the default from the apache site with my detail changed to replace the apache example. Also have uncommented what needed to be uncommented to enable named virtual hosts. I created a new folder in htdocs for the new site and added exact dir path in vhost. The main problem is that i have tried a few combinations and lost the use of apache2triads control panel at one point, but now is ok as reverted back to the default httpd.conf i backed up earlier. When using vhosts i could view my sites basic html page i created for testing server and i created a different basic index.html in the new folder for my sons site. The only thing is it shows my index.html and not my sons but my sons domain name is shown in the browser. When i added some text to the end of his domain name and because there is no page called whatever it returns his 404 error page not found with his domain added to the server error page so does that mean i had set it up ok but was missing something else maybe. One more thing, i noticed the last 2 lines in my httpd.conf pointed towards my domain and port 80 and the admin mail address was pointing to my admin@mydomain email account, would this have anything to do with my problem.

Thanks Pixelated...
JohnnioM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

have you put the subdomain(s) in an A Record in your DNS Account ?
If not thats your problem, you probaly have put them in an A record Smile
pixelated

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi JohnnioM, when you say subdomain/s do you mean my sons domain ?

If yes he has his own dns record for his domain and name server, ns records have been changed to dnsexit the same as mine. I set up another domain in my dnsexit account. His domain is showing the ip to my pc which is updated with the same software that updates mine and both show as domains.

I've just logged into dnsexit to check the situation thinking that i may have set his dns as a subdomain or alias and on my account it shows my domain and my sons domain and both don't have subdomains.

Guess im still in limbo with this thing.

Do you use vhosts, apache2triad and a dynamic dns updater, if so was it easy to configure you vhosts for name based virtual hosts.

This is what i added to my httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName mysonsdomain.co.uk
ServerAdmin admin@mydomain.co.uk
DocumentRoot /apache2triad/htdocs/mysonsdomain.co.uk
</VirtualHost>

I tried other virtual hosts as well as the one above, one was for my domain but i lost apache2triad cp and plus xmail, awstats and uebimiau, so i just left his entry in httpd.conf till i get it sorted even added my sons domain like <VirtualHost mysonsdomain.co.uk> but may have had other settings not right for it to work.

Anyway i always have obstacles in my way, the story of my life lol but with alittle help i may get there in the end.

OK HAD ANOTHER BASH AT IT WOKING NOW! Don't ask me how lmao.

Added vhost with local host details......
cigraphics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is my config
Code:
<VirtualHost 86.104.20.20>
    ServerAdmin admin@ci.kz.ro
    DocumentRoot D:\SERVER\apache2triad\htdocs\errors
    ServerName www.error.ci.kz.ro
    ServerAlias error.ci.kz.ro
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.html.var index.cgi index.pl index.htm index.php3 index.php4 index.shtml
    ErrorLog logs/ci.kz.ro-error.log
    CustomLog logs/ci.kz.ro-access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

DocumentRoot D:\SERVER\apache2triad\htdocs\cigraphics\cikz
    ServerName www.ci.kz.ro
    ServerAlias ci.kz.ro
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.html.var index.cgiindex.pl index.htm index.php3 index.php4 index.shtml
</VirtualHost>

DocumentRoot D:\SERVER\apache2triad\htdocs\uebimiau
    ServerName www.mail.ci.kz.ro
    ServerAlias mail.ci.kz.ro
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.html.var index.cgi index.pl index.htm index.php3 index.php4 index.shtml
</VirtualHost>
pixelated

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

With your ip as part of each vhost means you have a static ip, so if you have a dynamic ip like myself id need to change it manually when ip is released and renewed. I have added the * which acts as a wildcard and binds any ip to my virtual hosts all the time.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic