Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 Where to go from here????
Google
Tastiger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well it is getting to that stage - no new developments seem to be forthcoming.Crying or Very sad

php installation is now quickly becoming outdated and from what I read upgrading php can be hit or miss - I really don't want to move from A2T but how long can one continue to use it without updates?

I guess my biggest fear is the amount of email accounts, databases etc that I would have to replicate if I changed to another WAMP.....

Any suggestions / opinions welcomed.
khansen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was just going to ask the same question. I have enjoyed using this for the past year or so, but it looks like a dead project now. It's a shame because it has thus far met my every need. However, I can't justify staying with it of the project is now dead...
Tastiger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As I have posted in another thread

http://apache2triad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5550

I have manged to upgrade php, Zend and PEAR although it is becoming more of a mish mash of cobbled together components to manage at least I still have most of my functions on the same page for easy management.

PEAR is giving me a couple of problems and time out errors are happening on some scripts, as well as my httpd throwing the odd error and restarting, so it's looking more and more like a change is impending, but I guess my greatest fear is messing with MYSQL databases and my email accounts so my only thought was to go for something like Wampserver and keep MYSQL and XMAIL in place.

It is a conundrum as to what is the best option from here - as stated in my other thread I'd like to see some discussion and see if we can come up with some viable options that suit our needs.
khansen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I run several Ubuntu web servers, and most of my major sites are housed there. I have used Apache2Triad in instances where it is more feasible to run a site locally. I have a few clients who like to have their sites, both internet and intranet, in house but don't want to set up a dedicated linux server.
I have spent a lot of time securing and customizing some of these into full production sites. It has worked well, and we have had no real problems until they decide to upgrade and find that the latest PHP or MySql isn't readily available. I don't really have the time to mess with patch work and tweaking to make this work.
I have put off taking any action up to now, but I think I will be in a position that I will have to make a decision soon. I may go ahead and push for a dedicated Linux web server in these cases.
Tastiger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess I have a real or imagined fear of going over to Linux - and would like to stick with something I know - Windows.... Rolling Eyes

I am really not confident I could make the change swiftly and fluidly enough to minimize disruption to the site(s) - as they are Community sites owned by an organization that really can't afford to buy a new box to setup and test a Linux server whilst keeping the site "alive" and of course we would want to keep it in house....

That has been the simplicity of A2T - grab a reasonable machine, Windows 2000, set your virtual hosts and away you go.....

Realistically, for someone like myself, who is not a real IT guru - how much effort and time goes into setting up a Linux Server, and what problems would one encounter in the change over? - given that my current A2T directory comes in at 8.2 GB - so we have a large database etc, to replicate....

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic