Apache2Triad Help, Support and Development Forum Index Search Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register Memberlist Attachments Statistics Crew/Ranks Archive
 Special Authentication Requirement
Google
Steve Nance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm a newbie to the Apache2Triad package and this forum so please excuse the ignorance. I'm setting up a company Intranet server on a LAN. I have the package working but, need to solve a problem.

I need to authenticate users by getting their ID from the Windows registery and checking it against a list of approved users (file or db) for access to secured directories without the user having to log in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

wich specfic part of apache2triad you want to let them accesss ?

sounds like youn need to find/make a php or perl script to check the authentification of the user
Steve Nance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I want to give them access to PHP scripts in specific directories similar to .htaccess but without having to log in.

I can't find a function in PHP to read the registry, where the authentication is stored and I 'm unfamilar with Perl.
Vlad Alexa Mancini
lead developer
lead developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

that is because there is no such function

you would have to use fopen() on System.dat but that would not get you too far with the registry

the authentification (password hash) is stored in the .htpasswd file not in the registry for the apache htacces files

i dont know about what ID you are taking about from the registry

if you assigned such ID then you should know how to retrieve it too
Steve Nance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

we require our users to have a login ID & Password to get into their windows machines (2K/XP) which is tied to a common authentication system including LAN, Main Frame and many other systems. I just wanted to use their windows ID (stored in registry) instead of requiring another redundant login.
I can use other means to get the ID from the registry I thought maybe someone had already done this and was looking for an easy way, but that rarely happens.
Thanks for your time....
kolatracks
past contributor
past contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If it's an intranet it should only be running on a local IP. And if it's only running on a local IP then why would you need user authentication since naturally everyone accesing the site would have a 192.168.0.xx (or whatever) IP.

Basically since the user info comes from registry this means that anyone using that computer can access the site, which means that access is granted to the computer not the individual user in which case you might as well allow and deny by IP's.

If you were to really want to athentiate by user I presume there would be a central source for checking user/pass details, and since your on a windows orientated network I bet your running a 2000/3 server which uses LDAP.
This is something I've never played with but there is mod_auth_ldap however you would still need to type your user/pass before being allowed access.

To automate the login process as you want would be hard if not impossible. The reason being that to get information out of registry is a client-side thing. The server cannot get information from a clients registry.
You would need something running on the client to prepare the login details and then send them to the server. IE can't do it and i'm pretty sure it's impossible with javascript so bascially as I see it, it's impossible to aotomate the login process.
dawg
support
support

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Something like this would require a custom .COM object. It could be called by asp ... but I'm pretty sure the APache::ASP module would not handle it very well.
Steve Nance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, sounds like a bad idea to try and deal with the op system. I have decided to use the .htaccess method at least for the time being. Haven't given up on the registry, will post if successful.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic